Saturday, April 23, 2011

Extreme Couponing

I have been watching this show on TLC -- you may have heard of it: Extreme Couponing. Well, I have been watching that show -- I am almost becoming addicted to it. It has really made me want to start couponing! To save some money, and also to have something to do. A hobby I guess you could call it. Of course I don't want to be an EXTREME couponer (some of these people are a bit crazy and obsessed .. if obsessed is even descriptive enough. I don't think it is.) I just want to be a good couponer. These people are saving some mega bucks I can't believe it! Their bill is close to $400.00 before the coupons and they are leaving only paying $6.00.

How do they do it? I just have all these questions floating around in my head. Where do they get stacks of coupons? (besides sifting through dumpsters or paying a lot for them) Don't the coupons expire? How do they save coupons when they usually expire pretty quick? I really need some imput from people -- ANYONE who is a couponer. HOW do you do it?

I would love nothing more than to save hundreds and hundreds of dollars on groceries, cleaning supplies, and bathroom supplies.

3 comments:

  1. Me and Jonas have watched this show too! It is intense and kind of sickening to know how much money you can save! It has inspired me to want to coupon as well but getting started is so hard to me. I try to use a coupon here and there but I would love to get into couponing too. I need someone to show me the ropes though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do ad matching at Walmart and get some pretty good deals that way. You can subscribe to the newspapers and get really good coupons there too. From what I've seen, couponing takes a lot of work and organization.

    I follow this site too which has a lot of good deals posted:

    http://freebies2deals.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I watched one of those shows and was amazed, so I did a lot of searching online to see how they were doing it. In this searching I found tons of sites (like Freebies2Deals) that post deals and other stuff. I also found out that the trips shown on Extreme Couponing are set up. First, the stores they go to double or triple coupons; that's how they can "make money" on items. There are only two stores in Utah that double, and they are in Utah County. I don't remember the first one, but Walmart does it on some Tuesdays because of their Price Match policy. Second, most stores have limits to how many coupons per item you can use, and that usually isn't shown in these trips. And then I read that one couponer actually commits coupon fraud when shopping. She uses coupons for the wrong items! Then I felt better about my little attempts to coupon. So in my research I've learned a lot more about how to really do it to save some money, rather than just once in a while.

    ReplyDelete