Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Switzerland

Friday-Tuesday, August 14-18, 2009
Okay, I have had it with the stupid slide program to upload photos. I spend at least 3 hours of my night uploading them and the last slideshow I did completely deleted and I had to redo it. Tonight I was uploading a bunch of pictures from Switzerland and half of them completely deleted and I have already spent about 2 hours on it. So, I have had it. No more slideshows, sorry. You will just have to see more pictures when we get back. For now, I will just post a few with each post. I will also write about what we have been up to these past few days. After we left Paris we spent a night in Dijon, France just to sleep. After we left Dijon, we then headed here to Switzerland which is where we are now, but are leaving tomorrow and heading to Garmisch, Germany for 7 or 8 days, I can't remember. In Switzerland we spent the first 3 nights in the Temple Lodging by the Bern Temple. NO A.C.! The windows would only open like an inch and it was so small. We had to sleep on bunk beds...4 people in there was not cool. It was so freaking hot. Kelly and I would get showered and ready for bed and w0uld sit outside till like 12:30 and then run and get in bed and go to sleep to avoid sweating to death. But then we would wake up way sweaty...so nice. Saturday the 15th we were able to do some sealings at the Bern Temple which was really cool. The Sealer didn't speak any English so it was very interesting. It was our first time doing sealings since we got married so it was pretty neat. After we left the temple we met up with our previous exchange student Sabine and spent the day with her. We went to some of the markets in Bern and ate lunch and then walked around a bit. We had dinner at a cool restaurant in a small village which was pretty good. Sunday we had breakfast with Sabine's family at a cool restaurant way way high on one of the hills which overlooked Biel/Bienne and the Swiss Alps. We stayed up there for about 6 hours! It was seriously so much fun and I have never spent so much time at a restaurant at one time! Her family is so much fun and we loved meeting them! After we left there, we went floating down a gorgeous river in Bern. Well attempted to. I thought I was going to drown...it was pretty scary. Too long to type, so if you want to hear the story just ask. :) Monday we went to Interlaken and then drove up to Lauterbrunnen and rode the train to Kleine-Scheidegg. We had lunch up there and then hiked up a bit to see the glaciers. Oh my GOSH it was SO pretty!!! I love Switzerland, it is one of the most beautiful place I have ever been to. We then drove to Lucerne and stayed last night and are staying again tonight. It's a way nice place but again NO A.C.! Oh well, it is nice and we have a fan. :) We had McDonald's for dinner...MMM. Guess how much? 40 freaking bucks! Can you believe that? A value meal was 12 dollars and a cheeseburger was $2.50. So crazy. So I guess when you think 5 or 6 bucks is a lot think again. Sabine said people here make a lot more so it makes up for it though. Today we rode a boat to see some of the little villages. We ate lunch as the boat was moving which was fun. I just love how pretty this place is. Lucerne is probably one of the prettiest places we have been to in Switzerland. I think one of the prettiest places we have been to so far at all. We shopped a little bit and then got pizza to take back to the room. We said goodbye to Sabine and then ran to the bus. We ate dinner and then me and Kelly went running up the big huge hill behind our hotel. (Yes, me and Kelly have only missed 3 days of running since being here, yeah!) Now we are sitting in our room. Well...should be sleeping. Tomorrow we have to drive about 4 hours to Garmisch and then it is relax, relax, relax. We are staying at Edelweiss Lodge and it has a pool so we can finally relax! I am very excited for that. I will post more later, until then...enjoy this freaking long post. Sorry...I guess I use this more like a journal than anything.
At the templeAt the markets in Bern. There are these fountains in several places for people to wash off their hands or drink. It is completely fresh water and really good!
The biggest swiss army knife EVER!!! It was like 500 bucks I think?
Kleine-Scheidegg
Breakfast and visit with Sabine's family.
Kelly and a goat. A bunch of goats just came right up to all the people from their fields! It was funny.
Me looking at the glaciers.
After hiking up to see the glaciers. SO PRETTY!
In Kleine-Scheidegg
In LucerneIn Klein-Scheidegg

2 comments:

  1. Switzerland is SO beautiful. Someday I will go there! My grandpa's family was from Zurich so I have always wanted to go there. Glad you are having fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. I like the photos on the blog better than the slide show. Easier to look at... I don't know, maybe just me, but if it is easier for you, I like it too!

    ReplyDelete